Showing love to yourself is just as important – if not more important – as loving one another. Today is Valentine’s Day, and while I hope you all have someone to spend this day with, be sure to take some time to LOVE YOURSELF. As they say when you’re on an airplane, make sure to put on your air mask first, before helping others! Below are five self-love quotes, and my thoughts behind each of them:
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
What an important message. As a professional organizer, I walk the fine line between therapy and physical order. Sometimes there are deeper psychological issues rooted in someone’s clutter, and while I’m not a psychologist, self-love is always an important starting point to physically and emotionally clearing the clutter.
- “Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.” – Veronica A. Shoffstall
I love this quote! This point hammers home the fact that self-love is a daily practice. Like a garden, your soul needs frequent watering and care. There’s no need to wait until Valentine’s Day to feel loved!
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs
Staying true to yourself is a daily practice, and ultimately the days add up to create a canvas of your life. As you organize your time, make time for yourself in your planner! Time is truly limited, and hopefully, the lifetime canvas you create reflects your true identity!
- “Love yourself unconditionally, just as you love those closest to you despite their faults.” – Les Brown
We all have faults. Faults make us who we are, and help us grow. A big part of self-love is being self-aware. If there is a fault in your life you’d like to work on, create goals to work on that fault. Monthly or annual goals can help you overcome these faults!
- “If we really love ourselves, everything in our life works.” – Louise L. Hay
I’m going to let this quote speak for itself. Happy Valentine’s Day, folks!
Photo: Quinn Dombrowski, Flickr